Civil Rights and Constitutional Law
One of the more complex areas of the law that we practice is Constitutional and Civil Rights law. This includes a wide array of civil actions that include:
- 42 U.S.C. § 1983 Cases (protecting the rights of individuals who are threatened by government abuse of power).
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act (a federal statute prohibiting discrimination based on race in public schools and universities).
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act (a federal statute prohibiting discrimination based on race, religion, sex, gender, ethnicity or national origin in the workplace).
- Title IX of the Civil Rights Act (a federal statute prohibiting discrimination based on gender in public schools and universities).
- Fair Housing Act (a federal statute that prohibits the denial of access to housing based on disability, race, religion, sex, gender, ethnicity or national origin).
- RLUIPA (the “Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act” is a federal statute that protects religious liberty in two ways: a) by limiting the ability of governments to control land use when it imposes a substantial burden on the free exercise of religion; and b) by protecting the free exercise right of institutionalized persons).
Larry L. Crain
Senior Partner Tennessee Office
Larry L. Crain is a nationally recognized constitutional lawyer and frequent lecturer, and commentator. He has litigated, debated and practiced widely in the area of constitutional law and human rights. Crain’s concern for First Amendment issues, particularly the rights of individuals to be free of religious discrimination, led him early in his legal career to serve as General Counsel for the Rutherford Institute and later as Senior Counsel for the American Center for Law and Justice where he litigated a broad spectrum of constitutional issues on a national level before the United States Supreme Court, the Third, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeal, the Supreme Court of Massachusetts, the Supreme Court of North Carolina and the Supreme Court of Tennessee. His litigation experience on issues of constitutional law spans 26 states
Joshua D. Hershberger
Partner Indiana Office
Josh graduated Summa Cum Laude and was awarded the President’s Citation of Merit (PCC’s highest award) and the Eagles’ Award (PCC’s highest athletic award). He was also named to Who’s Who Among America’s Colleges. He received a full academic scholarship to Thomas M. Cooley School of Law in Lansing, MI. While in law school, Josh was elected president of the Cooley chapter of the Christian Legal Society, competed on the school’s ABA National Moot Court Team, joined the Thomas M. Cooley law review, and served as a teaching pastor at a local church. In the fall of 2010, Josh had the privilege of interning at Bopp, Coleson & Bostrom, one of the nation’s premier Constitutional law firms. During his internship, he helped with litigation in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court, defending a national non-profit against government officials, and providing compliance advice to non-profits and political organizations across the United States. After graduating from Cooley Magna Cum Laude, Josh started his own firm, Hershberger Law Office, in Madison, Indiana, and joined a local church as a teaching and worship pastor.
Brian L. Schuette
Managing Partner Kentucky Office
Brian Schuette is a seasoned civil litigator with over 25 years of law practice experience. He is AV-Rated by Martindale Hubbell. As the managing partner of the Kentucky office of CSA, Brian oversees the firm’s personal injury and general civil litigation practice. He has handled many wrongful death and serious personal injury cases, including motor vehicle collisions, slip and fall, product liability and dog bite cases. The majority of Brian’s cases come from client or attorney referrals. Brian is trained as a mediator (Rule 31 Listed in Tennessee) and Christian conciliator (alternative dispute resolution for churches and church members). This training has been a useful tool for Brian as he works with individual and business clients to achieve excellent results as efficiently as possible.